Recent Technology Scanning Hits
- PC era ending, tablets and smartphones on the rise.
- Franks Blog Timeline
- Reverse Combustion: Can CO2 Be Turned Back into Fuel? [Video]: Scientific American
- Fuel Cell Power - GOVERNMENT ACTION TO BUILD A LOW CARBON ENERGY INFRASTRUCTURE
- U.S. Nuclear Weapons Have Been Compromised by Unidentified Aerial Objects | Reuters
- Spirituality & Belief | Second Life
- 5 Ways to Well-being (imagined in an iPhone app) - juzmcmuz.com
- A Promotional Video from our new LA Node
- As the Sun Awakens, NASA Keeps a Wary Eye on Space Weather - NASA Science
- Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation - Telegraph
Journal article: Advances in Drama Theory for Managing Global Hazards and Disasters. Part I: Theoretical Foundation
Jason K. Levy1 , Keith W. Hipel2 and N. Howard3
(1) L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
(2) Department of Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3G1
(3) Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, S1 1WB, UK
[Ed Note: The future in this case is right around the corner with Gartner predicting that 80% of the active internet will have migrated to 3D virtual worlds by 2011, less that a year and a half from now]
Web 1.0 was Information - Web 2.0 is Interaction - Web 3.0 will be Immersion in the 3D Internet
These gadgets and machines will make total immersion in the rapidly growing 3D Internet Cyberspace possible - the Matrix is coming closer!
MyVu’s Video Cyberdisplay goggles.
[ ED Note: Keep an eye out for Googles launch of Wave, it could mean a quantum leap in productivity for communications and team based collaboration. Check the link out above for the full article and if you have time view the Wave Demo on YouTube embedded below]
It could serve as the foundation for an IT-driven upgrade of the electricity grid
By Grant Gross
May 4, 2009 12:00 PM ET
IDG News Service - The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers has launched a new project to create standards and interoperability for the so-called smart grid, an IT-driven upgrade of the electricity grid.
Although the computer has been developed as a numerical computational tool, it has become a core processor of many of our daily tools brought about by the harmonized contribution from programming and processor technologies. In fact, former super-computer technology has become indispensable in our daily lives. Even though we have access to powerful and fast processors, we are a long way from realizing an intelligent communication link between a human and a machine. It is definitely not for the lack of numerical computational power, but because the human brain and a conventional computer have very different process objectives. Communication by conventional computers is defined as a transfer data function between agents. On the other hand, human-like communication done by a brain is the result of learned behavior or from shared state interactions between agents. It is our intent to replicate the human-like interaction system. To achieve this goal we will focus on the following three research topics;
An international team of scientists in Europe has created a silicon chip designed to function like a human brain. With 200,000 neurons linked up by 50 million synaptic connections, the chip is able to mimic the brain's ability to learn more closely than any other machine.
[Ed.Note: For those that have suspected Semantic Web/Ontology efforts are to web 3.0 as expert systems were to AI, Wolfram brings a breath of exhilarating fresh air to the stuffy debate over ontologies, with a completely new approach which seems to make a lot more sense than trying to "Outline Reality" with some inflexible ontology.]
A Computational Knowledge Engine for the Web
His discovery is a 'proof of principle' of the existence of a 'spin battery'
IMAGE: The top is a graphic representation of the overall device structure. The diameter is roughly that of a human hair. The bottom is a magnified image of the central part....
Click here for more information.